Dystopia: A futuristic, imagined universe in whice oppressive societal control and the illusion of a perfect society are maintained through corporate, bureaucrativ, technological, moral or totalitatian control. Dystopias, through an exaggerated worst-case scenario, make a criticism about a current trend, societal norm or political system.
Can or does a utopia exist? What elements would exist in your perfect world?
Common Features of Dystopic Novels
1. A futuristic setting with amazing technological advancements
2. A back story involving war, revolution or some variety of natural disaster which changed the old systems so the new dictatorship could take over
3. A hero from this society who feels there is something wrong with the way it is run and fights to change the accepted order
4. A figure of conflict who represents everything that the dystopia promotes
5. A group of people who are not under the state’s control; the hero puts his (or her) hopes in this band of rebels
6. A climax followed by the sense that everything is not completely resolved in the end